EPHESIANS Chapter 2: Commentary
By: Eric Turner
Many Torah observant Brothers and Sisters have asked how do we reconcile Ephesians 2 especially verse 15. I have decided to post this so all can see, and explain which law has been abolished. If we all agree that the Word of God is INFALLIBLE, and cannot contradict, the interpretation process is quite easy once we understand the correct precepts. Paul seems to be implicating that the law of YHVH, the Torah/Law of Moses, has been abolished, but we have a problem here. Moses, Yeshua/Jesus, and all Apostles and Prophets said that we should keep Moses FOR EVER, so we seem to have a contradiction in the mainstream Seminary Schooled Scholar world of the Pastors, consider.
30. When thou art in TRIBULATION, and all these things are come upon thee, EVEN IN THE LATTER DAYS, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; 31. (For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he swore unto them. 32. For ask now of the days that are past, which were before thee, since the day that God created man upon the earth, and ask from the one side of heaven unto the other, whether there hath been any such thing as this great thing is, or hath been heard like it? 33. Did ever people hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as thou hast heard, and live? 34. Or hath God assayed to go and take him a nation from the midst of another nation, by temptations, by signs, and by wonders, and by war, and by a mighty hand, and by a stretched out arm, and by great terrors, according to all that the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes? 35. Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him. 36. Out of heaven he made thee to hear his voice, that he might instruct thee: and upon earth he shewed thee his great fire; and thou heardest his words out of the midst of the fire. 37. And because he loved thy fathers, therefore he chose their seed after them, and brought thee out in his sight with his mighty power out of Egypt; 38. To drive out nations from before thee greater and mightier than thou art, to bring thee in, to give thee their land for an inheritance, as it is this day. 39. Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else. 40. Thou shalt keep therefore his STATUTES, and his COMMANDMENTS, which I command thee this day, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, FOR EVER.
17. Think NOT that I am come to ABOLISH the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18. For verily I say unto you, TILL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, TILL ALL BE FULFILLED. 19. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: 30. Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. 31. Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea WE ESTABLISH THE LAW.
1 John 2
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
So, we can see already that all the Law has not yet been fulfilled, because there has been no tribulation, and we have not seen the LATTER DAYS, yet, and we also understand that Heaven and Earth are very well still intact, so not one “jot or tittle” has been abolished from the law. So, how do we reconcile Ephesians 2??????? Let us look at the Chapter in context, and give some definitions of Greek words, and we will be able to see that Paul was not speaking about the law of Moses, but about the Law of the Pharisees.
1. And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2. Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course OF THIS WORLD, according to the prince of the power of the air(Satan), the spirit that now worketh in the CHILDREN OF DISOBEDIENCE: 3. Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the LUSTS OF OUR FLESH, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the CHILDREN OF WRATH, even as others. 4. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5. Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6. And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: 7. That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. 8. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9. Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto GOOD WORKS, which God hath BEFORE ORDAINED THAT WE SHOULD WALK IN THEM. 11. Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12. That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the COVENANTS(Plural) of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: 13. But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. 14. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle WALL OF PARTITION between us; 15. Having abolished in his flesh the ENMITY, even the law of commandments contained in ORDINANCES; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16. And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: 17. And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. 18. For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. 19. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20. And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; 21. In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: 22. In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God THROUGH THE SPIRIT.
We have unique characteristics of this law that in FACT was aboilished. It was written by Satan, the Power and Prince of the Air, it caused separation of Jew and Gentiles, it was followed by the CHILDREN OF DISOBEDIENCE, it’s fruit was LUSTS OF THE FLESH, and not according to the Spirit. NONE, may I say again, NONE of these characteristics and descriptions are given EVER, for YHVH’s Torah that was given to Moses for ALL ISRAEL! Notice verses 11-13. Let us go down the check list.
1. Was God’s Law written by Satan?
24. And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as it is at this day. Deu 6:25 And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.
2. Does YHVH’s law place separation between Jew and Gentile?
49. One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.
22. Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God.
16. One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you.
29. Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.
29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: 30. Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. 31. Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, WE ESTABLISH THE LAW.
3. Does God’s law work in the Children of Disobedience?
1 John 5
2. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
4. Does God’s law cause men to lust after the Flesh?
5. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. 6. To set our minds on the flesh leads to death, but to set our minds on the Spirit leads to life and peace. 7. That is why the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile toward God. For IT REFUSES TO SUBMIT TO THE AUTHORITY OF GOD’S LAW because it is powerless to do so. 8. Indeed, those who are under the control of the flesh cannot please God. 14. For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am mere flesh, sold as a slave to sin.
So, we see now that this law that was abolished CAN NOT BE the laws of Moses, YHVH’s Torah, that is eternal, so what law is this speaking of? We will use the same exact check list to see.
1. Is the law of the Pharisees(Talmud) written by Satan?
42. Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. 43. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45. And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. 46. Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47. He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
1. Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying, 2. Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread. 3. But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? 4. For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. 5. But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; 6. And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition. 7. Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 8. This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
2. Does the law of the Pharisees(Talmud) make a separation between Jew and Gentile? After Peter’s Vision of the Unclean Animals, we see Peter says something out of the ordinary, consider.
25. And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him. 26. But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man. 27. And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many that were come together. 28. And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an UNLAWFUL thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
Here we get both the interpretation of the vision(Unclean animals still unclean), the vision was revealed that we should call no man common or unclean, and we also see that Peter said, “It is UNLAWFUL for a Jew to associate with a Gentile, but that we are not call ANY MAN common or unclean”. Why was he saying it was unlawful, when we already established that YHVH’s Torah NEVER says any such thing? Consider the following excerpt from the Pharisees’ Law, now called the Talmud.
Yebamoth 98a. All gentile children are animals
In Abhodah Zarah (22a) it says: “A Jew must not associate himself with gentiles because they are given to the shedding of blood.”
Likewise in Abhodah Zarah, 22b: “Why are the Goyim unclean? Because they were not present at Mount Sinai. For when the serpent entered into Eve he infused her with uncleanness. But the Jews were cleansed from this when they stood on Mount Sinai; the Goyim, however, who were not on Mount Sinai were not cleansed.”
In Iore Dea (198, 48) Hagah, it says: “When Jewish women come out of a bath they must take care to meet a friend first, and not something unclean or a Christian. For if so, a woman, if she wants to keep holy, should go back and bathe again.”
3. Does the law of the Pharisees work in disobedient children?
5. Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands? 6. He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. 7. Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. 8. For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. 9. And he said unto them, Full well YE REJECT THE COMMANDMENT OF GOD, that ye may keep your own tradition.
4. Did the Pharisees’ law cause men to lust after the Flesh????????
19. And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. 20. Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21. (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Col 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23. Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the SATISFYING OF THE FLESH.
Now, we must see what Greek word is used to describe this word “ordinance”, to see which origin it comes from.
15. Having abolishedG2673 inG1722 hisG848 fleshG4561 theG3588 enmity,G2189 even theG3588 lawG3551 of commandmentsG1785 contained inG1722 ordinances;G1378 for toG2443 makeG2936 inG1722 himselfG1438 of twainG1417 (G1519) oneG1520 newG2537 man,G444 so makingG4160 peace;G1515
From the base of G1380; a law (civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical/church law): – decree, ordinance.
This word “dogma” is used five times in the Brit-Chadasha, and every time it is used, it is used in the context of ordinances of men, not the laws of Moses.
Total KJV Occurrences: 5
This says that the “ordinances” that were abolished were Ecclesiastical ordinances, contrived not by the Word of YHVH, but by the Elders of the Ecclesia, or Assembly. We are free to walk in the Torah/Law of Liberty, and freed from the commandments and decrees of men, so that we all may be thoroughly equipped and able to establish the good Works that have been set for us to observe from the beginning. So, I hope this has edified in the correct interpretation of Ephesians 2, keep defending the Faith once delivered to the Saints, Shalom!